Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Morning Ritual: Make Your Bed



I admit it, I only started making my bed every morning within the last year.  I was brought up to believe you should make your bed every single morning but I basically filed that advice in my brain with things like "wear clean underwear in case you are in an accident."  (By the way, I wear clean underwear every day not because I expect I might be in an accident but because I like clean clothes.)   In my twenties, I was lazy and if I went out the night before, it was all I could do to drag myself out of bed and get myself to work.  Making the bed seemed pointless when I was just going to come home later on at some point and climb into it.

This mentality continued until about a year ago when I read an article about how making your bed can relieve stress.  I was all about stress relieving (still am) but say what now?  Just making your bed can help with stress?  It seemed crazy but dealing with the divorce-pocalypse, and considering it was free, I thought I'd give it a go.

It's true, it works.  Not because there's anything mystical or magical about making your bed but it instantly makes your bedroom look put together.  Even if your floor needs to be swept or vacuumed, or your laundry basket is still sitting on the floor with your clothes in it, your room looks tidy.  When your bedroom looks restful, you become restful.

There is also something of an accomplishment feeling.  Right, it's not much to make the bed but getting this feeling first thing in the morning is a positive way to start your day.  Given the Southern California commute I deal with Monday through Friday, I'll take it.

Additionally, it's a great feeling at the end of the day to pull back your covers and climb into a nice, crispy bed.  It's the same comforter, blanket, sheets, etc. but it just somehow feels more clean when your bed has been made. 

As an added bonus (yes, there's more!), this good habit is addictive and spills over into other parts of your home.  Before you know it, you won't have your laundry basket on the floor or dishes in your sink.

So go make your bed . . . and feel great!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and starting up a conversation. Let's chat!