Thursday, February 26, 2015

Why I Love My Crockpot: Balsamic Chicken With Spring Veggies



I neglected to take photos of prepping this or after it was done so apologies in advance.  But this was absolutely delish.

I picked up the recipe from Make It Fast, Cook It Slow by Stephanie O'Dea and made my own minor tweaks because I was missing a few ingredients. 

Ingredients:

6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I used 3 breasts and they were frozen*)
2 zucchinis, sliced into rounds
2 yellow squash, sliced into rounds
1 orange bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 red onion, chopped (I used onion flakes)
1 head garlic, cloves peeled (I used garlic salt)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons gluten free Worcestershire sauce
kosher salt (I used sea salt)
black pepper

*Because I used 3 breasts, I used only one zucchini, one squash and not quite half of each bell pepper.

Directions:

Use a 6 quart slow cooker.  Place chicken into stoneware.  Put all the veggies into a large mixing bowl with the garlic.  Toss the veggies with the balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.  Add salt and pepper to taste and pour on top of chicken.  Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours. 

I cooked mine for roughly 7 1/2 hours on low.


I left this cooking away in my crockpot while running errands and when I returned home, my apartment smelled delectable.  The chicken was tender, juicy and full of yum.  For picky eaters, once the dish is ready you really can't tell that zucchini, squash, yellow bell peppers and orange bell peppers are the designated veggies. 

Normally I leave a few bites of chicken on my plate but there wasn't a morsel left of this goodness.  I combined it with green beans and it was a wonderful mix of protein and veg. 

I highly recommend this recipe! 





2 comments:

  1. That's my favorite thing about the crockpot. When you walk back in, it smells like you've been slaving over the stove all day. this sounds like a good recipe. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Laurie! Nothing like walking through the door and having your house smell heavenly.

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I'll have another crockpot recipe up this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and starting up a conversation. Let's chat!